By A. Santiago
- Checking train times, booking restaurants, donating to friends’ fun runs – the Internet has long since moved from being a tool purely for work. It is a fact that that the Internet has completely re-shaped our lives, both at work and at home. We use the Internet every day to do so many different jobs that we can no longer imagine how we coped before it. But the technology and the story behind this now vital everyday tool is amazing. Here are 21 incredibly interesting internet facts that you probably didn’t even know.
- The Internet was invented over 40 years ago, in a beer garden! Who says the best ideas don’t come over a drink!
- Right now 3.6 billion people are using the Internet – that’s over half the world’s population connected to the world wide web just like you are.
- It may seem like only yesterday we were all dialing in for our Internet connection, but wireless internet was actually founded in September 1990! Wi-Fi is only a few years away from its 30th birthday!
- With a whopping 71% of mobile communications flowing over wireless Internet, Wi-Fi is now the biggest transmitter of communications around the world.
- Previous names for wireless Internet were Wave LAN, Flank Speed, Dragon Fly, WECA and IEEE 802.11 b Direct Sequence, before the more consumer friendly name of Wi-Fi was adopted.
- Inter-brand invented the term “Wi-Fi” as a play on words of the term “Hi-Fi” or “High Fidelity”. However, Wi-Fi doesn’t actually stand for anything. What added to the confusion was the Wi-Fi Alliance’s use of a nonsense advertising slogan, “The Standard for Wireless Fidelity,” which lead many people to think that Wi-Fi was an abbreviation of “Wireless Fidelity”.
- With the global average Internet speed sitting at 5.6 Mbps, South Korea is storming ahead as the fastest country in the world, with an average Internet speed of 26.7 Mbps!
- Wireless Internet signals generally emit from your router in a doughnut shape. Tasty.
- Ethernet– the most commonly used wired Internet – was invented almost half a century ago in the early 1970’s, by Bob Metcalfe.
- In the early days of computer networking, coaxial cables were used, the same type of cabling that is commonly used for cable or satellite TV today.
- You may have only heard it recently, but the term Internet of Things (IOT) has actually been around for almost 20 years! It was first coined in 1999 by Kevin Ashton, a British visionary and engineer
- In 2016 there was approximately 7 billion people living on the planet, and over 23 billion devices connected to the Internet – that’s an average of 3 devices per person.
- By 2020 it is estimated there will be over 50 billion Internet-connected devices worldwide being used by 7.8 billion people – over doubling the amount of average devices per person!
- In 2016 over 15 billion Internet-connected devices were shipped across the globe! That’s a lot of tech!
- Some of the strangest devices that connect to the Internet now include Walking Sticks, Umbrellas, Shirts, Water Bottles, Tails (for festival goers) and Cutlery. We’ve left the particularly odd items off this list!
- 90% of consumers are being driven towards the connected smart home trend by better security for their homes and families.
- There are currently around 150 million smart homes worldwide – it won’t be long before Internet-connected homes are the norm.
- The average person now spends almost 10 hours a day online – we spend more time on the Internet that we do sleeping!
- 5 billion Google searches are performed on the Internet each day! What are all these people searching for?!
- China leads the way with the most Internet usage – over 650 million users, making up a 5th of the total number of people online.
- Google is ranked as the most popular website worldwide, with Youtube coming in second and Facebook third.
- It’s amazing how little we know about something we use for more than 10 hours a day! – We’re just scraping the surface when it comes to incredible facts about the Internet, but now you can go and dazzle your friends with your new-found knowledge. Next time you are sat with a beer we expect you to show off that the Internet was invented in a beer garden. Next time you Google something you can think about your search joining the 3.5 billion other searches being performed that day. The Internet is a vast place – watch this space for more Internet facts from Fing in the future.
M&L MINK LASHES
By: Deyanira Jiménez
NATURAL & LIGHTWEIGHT
Our mink eyelashes are incredibly natural looking, ultra soft and comfortable. Compared to eyelash extensions, our false eyelashes are safer, more beautiful, and more convenient. Put any pair on in the morning and take them off at night.
EASY TO WEAR
Handcrafted with a soft cotton band, Our lashes are super flexible and easy apply, even for beginners. Pair with our best selling lash glue for all day wear.
RESILIENT & REUSABLE
Every pair of lashes have been meticulously handcrafted to be incredibly resilient and worn multiple times. Say goodbye to disposable one-time use falsies.
Make-up by: DEYANIRA JIMÉNEZ
Do you want to look fabulous for your next social or business event? Call Deyanira and she will transform you to Hollywood Star.
Before and After
To buy the eyes lashes or have a makeup by Deyanira call: 774-286-0126
For more information about this advertiser, use the electronic form bellow; thanks !